Re: [tlug] Japanese support, IME, etc. on ASUS eeePC

2009/1/18 Ivan Stout <aibanhamano@example.com>:
> On Sun, Jan 18, 2009 at 1:39 PM, Jim Breen <jimbreen@example.com> wrote:
>>
>> Can anyone confirm that this is still working?
>
> I was able to install Japanese input and fonts on an eeePC last Summer. I
> believe I used the instructions found here:
> http://km294.blogspot.com/2008/01/eeepc.html I had to uninstall the default
> scim package to get Japanese input running (that was not included in the
> instructions I used).

OK, so you uninstall the default scim. Is it OK to do that after using apt-get
to install SCIM-Anthy?

> However, to be honest, I am now using my Dell mini 9 much more these days.
> These come with Ubuntu 8.04 and already are set-up for Japanese (you can
> order them here:
>http://configure.apj.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=jp&cs=jpdhs1&l=ja&oc=3055bbasic&s=dhs).

I see they about double the price of the eeePC, and a bit bigger. I really want
a very small system. For the price of a Dell mini 9 I could get the HD
version of the eeePC and install my own distro, I guess.

Thanks for the confirmation.

Jim

--
Jim Breen