Re: [tlug] Sbackup Question

Daniel A. Ramaley wrote:
On Sunday January 4 2009 23:10, CL wrote:
What I would like to do is install the basic OS and then do a restore
of the current installation on the smaller HDD so that, when the
machine is turned back on, it will be as if nothing had changed.

If you are happy with the current installation, why not just move the whole installation to the new drive rather than installing and trying to restore important files from a backup?

Dan,

I followed your instructions for copying from one disk to the other and then used the Kubuntu GRUB manager to set up the boot loader.

Everything went smoothly and all files installed. However, for some reason I cannot suss out in my newbiosity, the startup hangs when the boot process reaches installation of the USB drivers. I tried replacing the keyboard and mouse with PS/2 devices (thank goodness for deep closets) and unplugged all other USB devices (a cordless handset and camera) only to have the boot process hang repeatedly at other points with failed driver loading.

Being short of time, I did a clean install and just transferred the critical files over. It got my daughter back up and running, leading to the peace and quiet in which to contemplate how I could do it differently next time.

Thanks for the pointers. I think that, with a little more practice, I should be able to get it done better the next time around.

--
CL