response, though it was less to do with technical rather than other
issues. But do feel free to post criticisms here, too; I'm pretty
thick-skinned.

On 2009-01-12 23:37 +0900 (Mon), Ian Barwick wrote:

> Personally I'm not particularly looking for another job right now, but
> the two languages specified for the sample applications are on my
> "really should look into this one of these days" list and if it wasn't
> quite so late (or more pertinently I didn't have Stuff To Do early
> tomorrow) I'd be having a crack at one of them just for the hell of
> it.

Well, anybody who does the Haskell one and sends it to me gets all the
free beer he wants at the TSAC meeting of his choice. So even if you're
not aiming for a job here, you won't go entirely unrewarded. (And of
course there's the inherent reward of learning something about one of
the coolest languages out there.)

Incidently, I'd be interested in people's opinions on what these tests
are designed to determine about the candidate, and, even more, what they
should be testing but aren't.

On 2009-01-13 00:10 +0900 (Tue), Edward Middleton wrote:

> Looking at the ruby program, from 2, what should
> S "/usr/bin/killall -9 ruby"
> return ;)

Right. Cleverness gets you hired. When can you start?

On 2009-01-12 10:19 -0500 (Mon), Joe Larabell wrote:

> If I'm reading it right, there's no time limit, right?.

Right. Take as long as you like, and use any resources you like.

I've never liked the sort of interview where you're made to write a
quicksort in C on a whiteboard, and you're expected to get it perfect.

> The competency matrix is amazing, from what little I read so far. I'm
> going to print it out and rate myself on it just for fun.

Yes, when I spotted it, I liked it a lot.

On 2009-01-12 15:55 +0000 (Mon), Josh Glover wrote:

> "If both you and us are still interested after the initial interview
> stage, we'll ask for at least two references."
>
> Good thing you're not trying to hire copy editors. ;-P

We are, and you're hired. :-)

> Of course, the two of us working together would likely lead to bloodshed... ;)

Actually, I suspect we agree on a lot, but just insist on using
different terms. I like to think we do it for the sake of keeping the
list interesting.

On 2009-01-13 10:55 +0900 (Tue), Edward Middleton wrote:

> I like the programmer competency matrix.  Irrespective of whether it is
> effective at rating competency, it says a lot about your thoughts on
> programmer competency.

Oh, I should stress that I didn't write it. I can't even remember where
it came from, but I should track it down and credit the guy....

cjs
                   http://www.starling-software.com