Re: [tlug] Job Posting

Looking at the ruby program, from 2, what should

S "/usr/bin/killall -9 ruby"

return ;)

If I were applying for the position, I'd have it return:

  "Nice try, smart ass..."

Other than that, I don't think anyone you're looking for should be scared by this at all. If I'm reading it right, there's no time limit, right?. I don't know any Haskell but if I wanted to work at Starling, I'd be willing to burn a bit of midnight oil tackling the project, anyway. And the Ruby program doesn't look very difficult at all -- especially since it's an "open book" test. I get the impression you want to see the person's thought process and coding style more than whether they can regurgitate the proper incantations from memory. And I agree that it *does* make it look like you clearly know who you're looking for. The competency matrix is amazing, from what little I read so far. I'm going to print it out and rate myself on it just for fun.

---
Joseph L (Joe) Larabell            Never fight with a dragon
http://larabell.org/                    for thou art crunchy
http://thelemicleague.org/        and goest well with cheese.