Re: [tlug] Ubtuntu 8.04 -> 8.10 Upgrade Pain

On Sun, Jan 11, 2009 at 11:18 PM, Godwin Stewart <gstewart@example.com> wrote:

> SIS chipsets have always been a problem as far back as the late '90s, which
> is when I had my first encounter (and problems) with them. Nothing was
> compatible in any mode other than the lowest common denominator. At the time
> I had a P-II/266 of which the IDE interface refused to work in anything
> other than PIO mode, and the graphics adapter could only do VGA resolution
> in 16 colours.

The Hitachi boxes in question are from about 2002, with P-IV
2.4/2.66GHz CPU's.  They worked fine with Kubuntu 7 & 8.04, but not
with 8.10.  Although the full color is there, with a flat panel
display, the screen goes completely blank every 20-30 seconds, and
with a CRT display, there are lines and noise in the picture, although
it mainly looks okay... (same result with the latest Suse as well BTW
- with Debian, no problem).

> With that kind of state of affairs I could understand why people wondered
> why I bothered with Linux. Thankfully, things have improved a bit since then :)

Well... improved, and then gotten worse!

> BTW, please don't post in HTML.

Oops... I thought I had set GMail to plain text.  There used to be
a... ah... there it is "Plain Text".  I don't remember going to HTML.
Maybe it automatically reset itself?  In any case, I just set it back
to plain text.  Sorry about that - I didn't realize it was in HTML
mode.

Lyle