Re: [tlug] Ubtuntu 8.04 -> 8.10 Upgrade Pain

On 11/01/09 07:13, Lyle H Saxon wrote:

> I began having problems with the SIS chipsets in some computers from
> 8.10, although Intel chips are working no problem.

SIS chipsets have always been a problem as far back as the late '90s, which
is when I had my first encounter (and problems) with them. Nothing was
compatible in any mode other than the lowest common denominator. At the time
I had a P-II/266 of which the IDE interface refused to work in anything
other than PIO mode, and the graphics adapter could only do VGA resolution
in 16 colours.

With that kind of state of affairs I could understand why people wondered
why I bothered with Linux. Thankfully, things have improved a bit since then :)

BTW, please don't post in HTML.

--
G. Stewart - gstewart@example.com

This door is baroquen, please wiggle Handel.
(If I wiggle Handel, will it wiggle Bach?)
                -- Found on a door in the MSU music building