Re: [tlug] Ubtuntu 8.04 -> 8.10 Upgrade Pain

2009/1/4 Curt Sampson <cjs@example.com>:
> On 2009-01-04 05:59 +0900 (Sun), Ian Barwick wrote:
>
>> ...and one of the
>> annoyances is that while it's possible to map the caps lock key to
>> CTRL in the Keyboard preferences utility, the setting isn't remembered
>> unless the Keyboard preferences utility is started. Putting
>>
>>     Option      "XkbOptions" "ctrl:nocaps"
>>
>> in xorg.conf doesn't seem to help here either :(.
>
> No, don't change xorg.conf or use whatever weird preferences utilities
> they give you, just use xmodmap and you can remap your keyboard to your
> heart's content. If you're running gnome, just create a .xmodmaprc
> file in your home dir with the appropriate commands, and the next time
> you log in you should be asked if you want to use it. Check "don't ask
> me again," click "yes," and you're set. Otherwise you'll have to use
> whatever startup-specific stuff your session or window manager needs to
> feed the file into xmodmap.
>
> Some hints:

(...)

Thanks, I'll play around with it when I have the time / inclination,
in the meantime I've cowardly beaten a retreat (still not happy with
the graphic) and am running what I need from a fruit-orientated
X-aware bulimic client (sometimes it's a thin client, sometimes it's a
fat client ;) ).

>> I'm not sure if it's an Ubuntu thing or an Xorg thing, but I was
>> somewhat bemused to find an effectively empty xorg.conf file.
>
> Uh oh. Does this mean you *can* put stuff in it, but don't need to, or
> that you aren't able to? In particular, I would be very unhappy without
> my middle-button-turns-mouse-into-wheel setting.

The former. I.e. if nothing's there it attempts to guess what settings to use.

Ian Barwick