Re: [tlug] [OT] Interesting info for foreigners living in JP

Curt Sampson wrote:

it's nice to think that there's a possibility that one day I can head south out of Shinjuku down Meiji-dori on my bicycle of an evening and not get stopped by the police.

I really do not understand how anyone can get stopped and checked continuously, but you and Debit seem to be the two exceptions that prove the rule. What are you doing to bring such attention to yourself? You don't understand how difficult this is.

If this really is a continuing problem:

- Ask to see his keisatsu teicho (this is the _only_ thing Debit does correctly).

- Try introducing yourself and giving a business card to the cop who stops you. If he tries to give it back (most won't), just tell him that you have a lot more and it is okay to keep it.

- Get his name and refer to him by his family name at every opportunity. (Police call each other "-kun," NEVER "-san" unless you're addressing someone who is so high up in the hierarchy he has a halo.)

- Tell him that it's cold right now (and "gokurosama") and let him know that your office is here and there's always a pot of hot coffee for warming up.

Usually you'll embarrass them to the point that they'll make a point of leaving you alone in the future. If you get stopped again, do the same thing, but be sure to ask the cop who stopped you whether he knows the last guy who did so.

--
CL