Re: [tlug] [OT] Interesting info for foreigners living in JP

On Fri, Jan 2, 2009 at 12:13 PM, Kenneth Burling <burlingk@example.com> wrote:

> Hehehe.  I already have comments from looking at his site that go
> beyond the structure of his web page.  :P  If there were
> another more proper forum, that would be cool. hehehehe.

My biggest comments really probably are that his website is not user
friendly.  His "Non-activist" page is more of an advertisement for his
activist book.

I also notice that he doesn't seem to slow down to pick his battles.
I am not too worried about what seems to be a battle on bathhouses in
general, but most of the other establishments that he insists on
forcing to let foreigners in are hardly legal under Japanese law.  I
get the impression that he has no clue what is actually going on in
some of these situations.  Yeah, he knows WHAT the place is, but
doesn't seem to realize why it is still there.

In the areas around the military bases and places with a strong
military presence, and near American Embassy buildings and the like,
most of the places are more than willing to let foreigners in.  Those
who are not usually have a reason that goes beyond simple prejudice.

Most of said "businesses" are brothels and the like run by a certain
organization that I am sure I need not name.  Said organization is
arguably one of the only really solid ruling bodies in Japan.  That is
part of why the police tend to turn a blind eye to their existence.
This is something the Japanese general populous understands (they
don't like it, but they understand), this is something that most
foreigners in Japan more than a few months understand.  Debito has
been in Japan long enough to gain citizenship, I am surprised he
hasn't gotten the picture yet.  On the face, the police and the
politicians are against such things, but they also know who is
actually paying most of their bosses.  This may sound pessimistic, but
it is better to be realistic about the environment that you live in.

The US DoD's policy on said organization is to stay out of their way
and let the Japanese authorities worry about them.  Less officially
the policy is "They stay our of our yard, we stay out of theirs."  The
easiest way to make sure that none of your thugs beat up a sailor or a
marine is to just keep them out of the bars.  Let them go get drunk
and stupid in someone else's establishment.

--
Ken