Re: [tlug] Computer fails to boot

On 2009-01-01 15:40 +0900 (Thu), David Bernat wrote:

> If Linux is going to migrate beyond the cool tool phase, developers of
> the OS will be forced to deal with people who aren't professional
> programmers, and have no desire to be one.

Linux is well beyond the "cool tool" phase, in the sense that you mean.
If you haven't had problems of similar magnitude with Windows, you
simply haven't used it for enough different things and a long enough
time.

These kinds of frustrating problems are endemic to the computer world;
that much has not changed since I first became a full-time sysadmin
almost twenty years ago. The only solution that really helps is to hire
other people to deal with the issues, and even that doesn't always work.

Actually, that's not quite true. The other thing that helps a lot, is to
freeze your configuration (never install new programs, never change how
your computer is set up) and never to connect to a network. Then you're
probably ok until you start experiencing hardware failures.

Heck, my business partner is having issues even with his Playstation 3.

cjs
                   http://www.starling-software.com