Re: [tlug] Computer fails to boot

On 2008-12-30 10:01 +0900 (Tue), David Bernat wrote:

> The hard disk is mounted. /bin/sh points to dash.
>
> I cannot see a way to set permissions for /bin/sh. Knoppix labels /bin/sh
> as a link without permissions,

Right. The permissions of the link are ignored; the permissions used are
those of the file to which it points.

> dash can be changed only with root rights, and I can't see a way to get
> root rights at the moment.

Well, you could use "su" and give it your root password. Or try sudo and
give it the password of whomever you're logged in as. There must be some
way to get to root in your live-disk environment.

Failing all of this, you could always boot up in "single user" mode.

cjs
                   http://www.starling-software.com