Re: [tlug] GPL Quote

On Fri, 26 Dec 2008 15:06:07 +0900
"Stephen J. Turnbull" <stephen@example.com> wrote:

> In the U.S., running binaries and viewing documents
> (including source) are explicitly fair use (of a legally acquired
> copy), so you don't need a license.  For everything else you have to
> obey the license.  I'm not sure how this is handled in jurisdications
> where the concept of fair use is not available (Japan, Europe AFAIK).

Europe has fair use too, though not so strictly defined and regulated
as the US. And people are expected to use their brain when applying
law ;->
Thus, running programs, doing backups etc does not fall under fair use
or even copyright as you'd normally  buy/acuire a program
to run it and it's common practice to keep backups of important data.

So far, i'm not aware of any case where running programs or keeping
backups has caused a legal debate. (NDAs with their "you have to
return all copies" are a different matter).

				Attila Kinali

--
It is the unknown we fear when we look
upon death and darkness, nothing more.