[tlug] GPL Quote

Curt Sampson writes:

 > While re-reading the entertaining "what does GPL on readline really
 > mean?" discussion between Stallman and Bruno Haible, author of
 > CLISP,

URL!  URL!  URL!  (I seem to have missed this one.)

 > I came across an interesting quote from Haible about why one should
 > use the GPL on software:
 >
 >     Building libgmp.a was just too hard work. Other people shouldn't get
 >     it for free.

Yeah, RMS seems to actually mean what he says about freedom and why to
use the GPL.  But most people take a proprietary interest in their
software, and use the GPL precisely because they want to retain
(certain kinds of) control and receive payment (in kind) for their
work.