Re: [tlug] Quoting...yet again

On Sun, Dec 21, 2008 at 5:47 PM, Curt Sampson <cjs@example.com> wrote:
> On 2008-12-17 22:38 -0500 (Wed), Scott Robbins wrote:
>> Many people are extremely busy /../
> /../
> But more important is to get the new stuff right in front of me. /../
> The worst thing you can possibly do is quote more than a few lines at
> the start of your message. /../

The writer's primary contribution should be at the start (this place)
of his content, akin to business correspondence, and opposite to
academic style where it comes at the end, after laying out all the
facts and arguments. I've learnt this at my company, and was initially
surprised, but it does make sense. As Curt says, he wants to see the
new stuff up front. Anyone with a brain tuned the same way as the
writer's doesn't need to know more, and for all others the expanded
arguments and facts should be available lower down.

I use the above method to trim while making readers aware of missing content.