Re: [tlug] Backward compatibility problem in RHEL5

Christian Horn writes:
 > On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 12:41:15AM -0800, shikdar mohib yazdani wrote:
 > > I have an application which was written for RedHat Enterprise
 > > Linux 3 with gcc 3.2.3
 >
 > RedHat ships the package compat-gcc-34 with rhel5, install that and
 > try to compile you app with that.

Be aware that that kind of thing will only work for a few months, a
couple years at most.  Fairly quickly various libraries are going to
start assuming GCC 4 compatibility, and eventually you're be stuck
with a system you can't upgrade.

Ie, sooner or later you're going to have to fix the app.