Re: [tlug] Gigabit Internet connection

Stephen Lee wrote:
> Edward Middleton <emiddleton@example.com> wrote:
>
>> I got my original connection a lot earlier when they were doing an
>> initial fiber push.  At that time they were offering a dedicated 100Mbit
>> connection to first time users for the cost of a shared family type
>> connection.
>>

> I bet you got it when it's still run by TEPCO (Tokyo Electricity &
> Power).  At the time they had one of the fastest fiber service you can
> get (judging by throughput records that are listed at bandwidth-checking
> sites). Their network business got bought out by KDDI and KDDI has been
> trying to migrate people to its own network since.  There has been some
> reports of, em, 'enthusiastic' pushing by its subcontractors, possibly
> to earn a commission.

I got on the fiber pre-TEPCO i.e. NTT B-Flets.  After moving houses NTT
was the only provider that offered static ip in my area.  I considered
Hikari One but they didn't offer a static ip and their phone support was
wanting.  I have to say I wasn't really impressed by their sales support
line, as a returning customer they wouldn't forward me to someone who
could answer basic questions about their offering unless I gave them my
previous customer service number.  Surprisingly I didn't have that while
walking around Akiba comparing various fiber offerings.

> Here's another review in Japanese.  The reviewer was able to get
> 300+Mbps Up and Down using Mac OS X on a checking site.
>
> http://bb.watch.impress.co.jp/cda/shimizu/23798.html

I will be impressed when he gets at least 50% of the theoretical maximum
bandwidth.  My current 100Mbit connection does 70Mbit.

Edward