Re: [tlug] Can't write to 500GB USB Drive

Curt Sampson writes:

 > Perhaps you were thinking that for DOS file systems, where no ownership
 > information is available, it uses the ownership of the mount directory.
 > Though that didn't seem to be the case for me under Linux, though it is
 > under NetBSD.

This is the second time today you've ignored relevant context. ;-)  Of
course I was talking about the case of (V)FAT file systems.

Under Linux (several FSes, but not ext2/3 according to AIUI, which
makes sense since an ext2/3 filesystem normally knows its master) it
is often possible to specify ownership as an argument to mount, as
well as inheriting from the mount point for those FSes that don't
provide a better way to guess ownership.