Re: [tlug] deleting a local list of filenames from remote server

On Fri, Dec 5, 2008 at 10:56 AM, Charles Muller <cmuller-lst@example.com> wrote:
I swear this worked two days ago when I first tried it. I didn't get any error
messages and the files were indeed deleted.

   scp  /dicts/ddb/pcache-update user@example.com:public_html/ddb/pcache/pcache-update;

   ssh user@example.com 'cd public_html/ddb/pcache && xargs rm'  < pcache-update;

The " < pcache-update" is interpreted by your shell before the ssh even runs. It is trying
and failing to find pcache-update in the current directory on your local machine.

If this was working for you before the simplest change is probably just:

ssh user@example.com 'cd public_html/ddb/pcache && xargs rm'  < /dicts/ddb/pcache-update;

Now when I run it, the file obviously get copied to the server, in the
proper directory, but for some reason, the file is not found

  chuck@example.com:~/bin$ pcache_update_ddb
  pcache-update                                 100% 2257     2.2KB/s   00:00

  /home/chuck/bin/pcache_update_ddb: line 5: pcache-update: No such file or directory

  chuck@example.com:~/bin$

I hesitate to keep bugging everyone with this, but after getting this
far with this and this much input, I don't want to give up. If anyone
can readily identify a possible point of error, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Chuck

A. Charles Muller

University of Tokyo
Graduate School of Humanities and Sociology, Faculty of Letters
Center for Evolving Humanities
7-3-1 Hongo, Bunkyo-ku
Tokyo 113-0033, Japan

http://www.acmuller.net