[tlug] UIM-Anthy Command Silliness

After installing Kubuntu 8.04 on a machine, I followed the instructions given in this group for setting up UIM-Anthy, as I have done three times previously, but with less than successful results.

For the first time, I get no Anthy toolbar ... at all.

Also, for some strange reason, _any_ key combination I set for my Anthy on / off key combination causes an immediate exit of both Thunderbird and Firefox. When it happened with <LFT SHFT + SPACE> I tried <LFT SHFT + LFT ALT> and then <LFT WIN + LFT ALT> ... all causing a very precipitous exit. I had to remove the <LFT SHFT + SPACE> command entirely as my regular habit of hitting it made typing this message impossible.

I find no reference to this key combination having another meaning / use.

I vaguely recall there is also a <LFT SHFT + I> combination that does Bad Things (tm) but cannot find it in any key combination list, either.

Suggestions?

--
CL