Re: [tlug] Re: TSAC Meeting: Thursday, November 27th 2008 -- Fibonacci and Netflix

On 2008-11-25 15:48 +0900 (Tue), Edward Middleton wrote:

> Didn't anyone tell you pointy <1> brackets are the new black,  and whats
> the browser support like ;)

Indeed.

	The Evolution of Language
	-------------------------

	2x 				(Descartes)

	\x.2x 				(Church)

	(LAMBDA (X) (* 2 X)) 		(McCarthy)

	<?xml version="1.0"?>		(W3C)
	  <LAMBDA-TERM>
	       <VAR-LIST>
		   <VAR>X</VAR>
	       </VAR-LIST>
	       <EXPR>
		  <APPLICATION>
		      <EXPR><CONST>*</CONST></EXPR>
		      <ARGUMENT-LIST>
			  <EXPR><CONST>2</CONST></EXPR>
			  <EXPR><VAR>X</VAR></EXPR>
		      </ARGUMENT-LIST>
		  </APPLICATION>
	       </EXPR>
	    </LAMBDA-TERM>

> Though seriously perhaps adding how Lisp compares with other function
> languages might be a good idea if you are going to structure it as an
> introduction to Lisp.

That would be interesting and novel, since I've only ever seen others
compare their functional language *to* LISP. :-)

cjs