Re: [tlug] New VirtualBox: New Problems

Jim Tittsler wrote:
On 2008-11-23 11:11, CL wrote:
Jim Tittsler wrote:
Did you redo the 'sudo VBoxLinuxAdditions-*.sh' step after the update?
No.  I thought that by setting my CD/DVD to the VBoxAdditions.iso in the
setup menu and pressing the large friendly "Install Additions" button in
the pull-down menu under Devices, I would be able to avoid that.

I thought that menu item just made sure the ISO was available and connected to the virtual /dev/cdrom rather than actually running the command to build/install the modules... but I'm not certain.

Based upon the results below, I think you are correct. That's two things I got wrong in just one attempt at fixing something.

It certainly sounds like the additions are not running.
('/etc/init.d/vboxadd status' should tell you.)

Sorry, the file has a .run extension not .sh.

sudo mount -o ro /dev/cdrom /media/cdrom
cd /media/cdrom
sudo ./VBoxLinuxAdditions-x86.run
# restart the guest after adding the additions
sudo shutdown -r now

Thanks, this worked ... on the second try. The try where I put on my glasses so I can see all of the characters and spaces in the instructions ...

The installation is working fine. Someone on the VirtualBox Forums suggested installing DKMS, which I will do today. That way I should not have a repeat of this problem. I think that the other issue here was that every other problem I have had with VirtualBox has required a repair of the Host, where the program resides ... and that has been Kubuntu in all other cases. It _seemed_ counterintuitive to fix Kubuntu when it was the Guest, also.

--
CL