[tlug] New VirtualBox: New Problems

(Crossposted to the VirtualBox Forums)

ThinkPad R61 1.8 Centrino CPU + 2GB memory

HOST OS -  WIN XP Pro = SP3 (Japanese)
Guest OS - Kubuntu 8.04 (32-bit)
	   VBoxGuestAdditions are installed.

Problem:   Guest screen will not expand to full screen size.

Prior to this, under VirtualBox 1.5.5 (which was the version available in August, 2008) Host + F would bring the Kubuntu screen to full screen and Host + A would expand the image to full screen size.

When starting Kubuntu, it would boot directly into full screen mode, at about 70% of full screen size, then expand to full screen, automatically.

The machine has been offline but in daily use for about four weeks. When I installed our new LAN, I updated both WIN XP and Kubuntu 8.04 (NOT 8.10) to latest versions using their respective update features. Kubuntu 8.04 _did_ receive a kernel update. I then downloaded and installed VirtualBox 2.0.4 in WIN XP.

The update was automatic and appeared to go without a hitch. However, now Kubuntu boots at about 70% of screen size and remains there. Host + G is grayed out and Host + A seems to do nothing. Host + F gives me a full screen, but the Kubuntu image remains at about 70% instead of expanding to the edges of the screen.

How do I get the previous features of auto resizing and full screen viewing back?

NOTE: All of our other PCs are Kubuntu with WIN XP (Japanese) running in a Virtual Box. This machine is the reverse for a number of travel - related reasons ... like the OS choice getting in the way of getting hardware repaired (don't ask ...).

--
CL