Re: Remote Light Control with Linux and other remotes (was: Re: [tlug] [OT] Any hobbyist electrical engineers around Tokyo?)

You can remotely turn on and off lights with Linux computers
or other remote controls with the X10 stuff. Start digging here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X10_(industry_standard)

But, unless I'm doing something wrong, they don't work in Japan. At least not the X10 stuff they sell in the US. And I've never seen a Japanese X10 source. Of course, that assumes Dave's theatrical even is in Japan ;-).

[Note: I'd love to be proven wrong -- I've used X10 devices before and I'd like to do so again.]

There's another competitive product out now that I saw in Fry's last time I was in the US but I don't recall the brand name, nor did I pick any up to test them out. Nothing on the packaging said "X10" so I think it's a different technology.

---
Joseph L (Joe) Larabell            Never fight with a dragon
http://larabell.org/                    for thou art crunchy
http://thelemicleague.org/        and goest well with cheese.