Re: [tlug] Just curious... how much impact does a kernel update make?

Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
Also, I offer some hearsay for your consideration (I can't confirm it
and don't have a cite).  That is, the current way the kernel is stuck
on 2.6 is partly due to vendor politics.  In the 2.4->2.6 transition
they had a lot of trouble getting customers to upgrade because a minor
version bump was considered too risky.

This is spot on. But it was more then just that, a lot/most companies choose to develop directly for 2.4 (which they could sell to customers) and ignored 2.5 kernels completely.

By pushing the activity back
to the micro version, they had a lot more luck, even though some of
the changes were big enough that (together) they probably would have
justified a minor bump.  Also, this made the kernel developers happy,
because more people were trying their new features earlier, thus
giving them more timely feedback.  The only people who aren't so happy
are module developers, who see more frequent API changes than they
were used to (Ian Wells commented on this).

You probably want to make the distinction between in tree and out of tree module developers. Last time I checked, making kernel level architectural that broke existing modules (which has occurred in 2.6 kernels) required all in tree modules to be ported to the new architecture before the change was accepted. If you are a module maintainer you would obviously have to test that the changes actually worked but the onus would still be on the person making the change to fix what they break.

> Of course, different developers all have differing motivations for
> using version numbers. But if my above analysis is generally
> applicable, then it would seem to me that the Linux kernel
> developers pretty much think that the kernel does exactly what it
> needs to do, and only needs maintenance in the form of minor
> adjustments for new hardware and the like.
> > Does that sound like a reasonable take on it?

I would disagree.  In upgrading from 2.6.20.7 to 2.6.27.1, I saw about
two dozen new kernel, not driver, features.  Mostly they were small,
such as variations on how NUMA architectures are handled, but others
offered changes in how scheduling etc is done.  As Ian Wells said,
this kind of complexity-increasing change carries risk of regressions.
They're not minor maintenance.

Well it depends on how you look at it. In terms of user visible changes[1] Dave's assessment is pretty close. This is of course a good thing because user visible kernel changes generally mean user level application changes are necessary.

User level application are fundamentally different from kernels. The primary users of KDE are people. The primary users of kernels are programs. As inflexible as people may be, we are still far more flexible then programs. If our kernel was running through major version changes at the rate that KDE does then most applications wouldn't run on the latest version, and we would still probably all be using 2.6 ;)

Edward

1. When I say "user visible changes" I am talking about fundamental changes not addition of new drivers or performance improvements etc.