Re: [tlug] Just curious... how much impact does a kernel update make?

Edward Middleton writes:

 > I guess the point is, your money is on STM work leading to newer and
 > better primitives, I wonder whether it will just lead to people using
 > existing primitives more effectively.

Well, I won't bet that STM will win.  STM is better than many of the
alternatives (Python GIL, The Big Kernel Lock, etc), but I doubt it's
the last word.  It's possible that existing primitives are sufficient,
but what I'm willing to bet on (not predict as certain to occur) is
that (as you said, IIRC) hardware or at least kernel-level support
will be very desirable, and that this will quite possibly lead to a
need for incompatible primitives.