Re: [tlug] Just curious... how much impact does a kernel update make?

2008/11/14 Edward Middleton <emiddleton@example.com>:
> Dave M G wrote:
>> Edward wrote:
>>> Probably a change in the development model. ...
>> Interesting. So does that mean reaching a 3.0 version is not an
>> aspiration of the Linux developers?
>
> 3.0!!!  life begins at 10 ;)
>
> But in all seriousness, my impression is that its just a version not a
> marketing number so unless something major changes or they decide
> 2.6.257 doesn't work it may not change.

There were significant differences between 2.4 and 2.6 by the time
they'd finished.  2.6, however, has shown that adding architectures,
drivers, filesystems and schedulers doesn't seem to cause enough
change to bother with bumping the major version numbers.  Unless
someone needs application binary incompatibility, meaning all your
applications would need recompiling and retesting, I don't see why
they'd go for 3.0 (or even 2.8).

--
Ian.