[tlug] Process Memory Usage

Curt Sampson writes:

 > I notice that the VM size of processes under Linux, as compared
 > to NetBSD, is remarkably large. I suspect some sort of accounting
 > difference, but that's not the real issue here.

You are aware that Linux has (or had until I stopped noticing) an
"optimistic" allocation algorithm?  That is, the kernel will
overcommit memory in the expectation that processes ask for more than
they need.  I suspect that you may not find it easy to get an accurate
estimate.

 > So what I want to know is, where do I get the figure for the size of
 > non-shared memory that is backed by swap?

/proc/$PID/oom_score looks like a likely candidate.  ;-)

/proc/$PID/statm also looks interesting.