Re: [tlug] Fast HTTP Talk, Httperf and Libevent, Pre-talk Hacking Session

On Wed, 5 Nov 2008 20:31:30 +0900
Curt Sampson <cjs@example.com> wrote:

> I should point out here that, while the event-based stuff is nice, it
> gives you only concurrency (the appearance of many things running at
> once) and not parallelism (actually having more than one thing running
> at once). You still need separate threads of control of some sort for
> parallelism (leaving aside multiple-dispatch architectures that are not
> really suited for web servers).

We tried to use libevent in a heavy multithreaded application and it
turned out to be a dead end. Synchronization made it way too complex, so
we ended up ditching the event driven model and wrote our own library
around select, poll, epoll, kqueue. It will be GPL someday, I'll drop a
note here when that happens.

Botond