Re: [tlug] Re: [RFC] Outline of the fast HTTP talk

John Fremlin wrote:
> Curt Sampson <cjs@example.com> writes:

>>> Mongrel is multithreaded
>>>

>> Err...that doesn't answer my question.
>>
>> My reasoning is this: Mongrel is written in Ruby web server, Ruby 1.8
>> does not support native OS threads, but only its own in-process "green"
>> threads, and therefore Mongrel will have to distribute its load amongst
>> multiple processes if it's to distribute its load across more than one
>> core.
>>

> Yes, that is a famous problem with Mongrel and single-threaded Ruby.

Does it make much sense having a single request distributing its
processing across more then one core?  I could understand this being
useful for a CPU intensive task like image processing but for a web
server this just seems to be extra overhead.  evented_mongrel[1] thin[2]
and ebb[3] can handle multiple requests fine without the need for native
thread support in Ruby.

Edward

1. http://swiftiply.swiftcore.org/mongrel.html
2. http://code.macournoyer.com/thin/