Re: [tlug] X11 Session Manager Setup

Curt Sampson wrote:
> On 2008-10-31 09:10 +0900 (Fri), Edward Middleton wrote:
>
>> Well in that case, X11 Session Management is a reasonable idea that, as
>> Stephen said, isn't supported by enough applications to be useful.
>> Firefox, Thunderbird and gvim were the specific applications that didn't
>> work which caused me to abandon using it.  Most of the Gnome
>> applications seemed to work though.
>>

> Firefox 3 seems to work fine for me, though perhaps it's just the "come
> back with the tabs you were closed with" thing in action. It doesn't
> save the passwords I'd used for HTTP authentication, but I'm not sure it
> should.

Well I have various windows open with various combinations of tabs for
the various things I am currently working on.  If I use session
management to start it, apart from getting DOS'ed because every web page
is reloaded from the net at boot time, I end up with a pile of Firefox
windows in the current virtual desktop.  I am fine with passwords not
being stored, but being forced to enter 8 or 9 passwords at boot time is
less then optimal.

> Gvim also works fine, albeit when I log out it pauses that process to
> ask me if I'd like to save files, and if I don't, they come back in
> their on-disk, not in-memory, state. That may well be my own doing,
> though: I specifically forbid vim from writing swap files of any kind
> to avoid accidently writing unencrypted information to disk when I'm
> editing a .asc file.

gvim came back in random locations without opening the file for me,
maybe things have improved.

Edward