Re: [tlug] JFS file system license

On Tue, Nov 4, 2008 at 11:41 AM, Edward Middleton <emiddleton@example.com> wrote:

> Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
> > Dave Brown writes:
> >  > No, that's not the biggest blockage.  A guy I know uses a Linux box
> >  > that's built, kernel and all, using Intel's C compiler.
> >
> > Isn't ICC really GCC in wolf's clothing?
> >

> My understanding is that ICC is a complete Intel thing written to be
> compatible with gcc.  It requires a license server and other nasty
> things to run it IIRC .  I gather they offer a free license for
> non-commercial use.
For what I know, gcc is still the de-facto compiler out there.
It support more platforms than icc.

The good things about icc are that: It has Intel in the brandname
and provides a good set of optimization parameters.

Sadly, last time I benchmarked icc, its optimization didn't
give any performance boost in comparison with gcc.

--
Best Regards,
Nguyen Hung Vu ( Nguyễn Vũ Hưng )