Re: [tlug] X11 Session Manager Setup

On Sun, Nov 02, 2008 at 11:03:56AM +0900, Curt Sampson wrote:
> On 2008-11-01 16:23 +0900 (Sat), Dave Brown wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Oct 31, 2008 at 05:58:30AM +0900, Curt Sampson wrote:
> > > All I can say in my defense, is that, in 1995, session managers didn't
> > > exit, and fvwm1 was really state of the art....
> >
> > What, you didn't have an .xinitrc or a .xsession file?  I know I sure
> > did.
>
> Indeed; I've always had a .xinitrc. Once I figured out to link .xsession
> to that, my old environment worked fine. But of course I had no session
> manager.
>
> I'm not clear on the point you're trying to make here; perhaps you can
> expand a bit?

Just saying that, in 1995, session managers did indeed exist.  They were
primitive--they worked by running a shell script in your home directory
rather than by remembering the state of the applications that were
running when you last exited, but they certainly were there.

Come to think of it, HP-VUE (which startled me by showing up in Solaris
as CDE) first came out in 1989 or so, and it had all of the modern
session management stuff that you're wrestling with today.

--Dave