Re: [tlug] linux netbooks?

On Sat, Nov 01, 2008 at 10:20:06PM +0900, nigel barker wrote:

> I'm trying to buy non-MS netbooks for my school, but my usual suppliers
> (pasokon koubou, yamada denki, dell) are telling me I have to have
> J-windows. Since these machines will be running Debian-edu, I am
> buggered if I will pay the microsoft tax on them.
>
> Where do you guys buy your linux eees and ones?

Here in the US, the price difference is minimal, and probably due to the
somewhat better hardware.  For example, the Acer Aspire One has an 8 gig
SSD, 512 MB of RAM version running Linux.  The SSD is a low quality,
painfully slow one.  Upgrading RAM on the AA1 is decidedly non-trivial,
as it involves completely disassembling the machine, to the point of
removing the rubber feet on the bottom.

For $40.00 USD more, one can get a 120 GB hard drive, 1 GB RAM model.
but of course it runs Windows. The 6 cell battery version (the other is
a 3 cell battery, about 2.5 hours of life) seems to only be sold in the
US with Windows.

Most of the netbooks with Linux on them come with a crippled version,
such as Acer's Linpus.  By default it has one user, called user, with no
password and full rights.  It has no textmode login, and although Fedora
8 repos are available, many packages, if upgraded, will break the
system.

As people are learning about the defects of the typical netbook Linux
system, the preference seems to be towards buying the Windows version.
In many cases, people dual boot as they would with other laptops sold
with Windows, though many of us, including myself, simply wipe Windows
off without booting and then install the Linux of their choice.

The short answer (which I should have given at the beginning) is that in
the US at least, one is usually better off buying the Windows version.
Apparently, in an effort to compete, bully, or whatever, the MS O/S cost
is minimal.  I suspect that if I did get into the fight to have the MS
tax refunded, it would only come to $15-$20 USD.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6

Xander: I wish dating was like slaying. You know, simple, direct,
stake through the heart, no muss, no fuss.