Re: [tlug] Standard, or at least most common, Japanese web fonts

Stephen,

Thanks for responding.
> This shouldn't matter on modern systems.  The Romaji names are safer
> for older systems, I think, especially free OSes.

Okay, cool.

> Also, there's no need to restrict your CSS to *one* font, although
> browsers generally do force the user to choose one in their
> preferences interface.  But CSS allows you to specify them in order of
> preference.

Well, that's exactly what I'm going for. I'm looking to build a list
that has some decent choices, starting from most preferred down to most
available. I've found that just leaving it to "san-serif" or "serif" as
the first and only option and letting the browser decide can lead to
some ugly choices.

> On the Mac, I like the Hiragino family, which is available by default.
> MS Mincho is widely available.  I'm not sure what is good on free
> platforms; I don't really like any of the ones I've seen, though.

I agree. I've found that, unfortunately, a lot of the Japanese fonts
that are usually available are quite clunky. There are some decent
Japanese free fonts around, but as far as I know, they aren't widely
adopted.

By the by, here's where I've sourced a lot of the fonts that I'm using:
http://www.wazu.jp/gallery/Fonts_Japanese.html

--
Dave M G
http://tlug.jp/mediawiki/index.php?title=User:Dave_M_G