Re: [tlug] JFS file system license

Joe Larabell writes:

 > So... if you're right about use of the API being a red-herring (and I
 > happen to believe it is, for all the reasons you already gave), then there
 > should be no fear when dynamic-linking to a GPL library from a non-GPL
 > application. Is that pretty much what you're saying?

No.  First, in the passage you quoted I was describing what (I
believe) we know; it's not much.

Second, regarding what we *want* to know (whether strong copyleft
would stand up in a court test) there has been no court test, so
nobody really knows whether "copying by reference" (ie, dynamic
linking) is copying under copyright law.  RMS could be right; I just
disagree with him (and *some* of the smart lawyers do too).

Third, the threat of a lawsuit is often enough to get your way whether
you would win in court or not.  "Fear ye, fear ye, here's your
subpoena."<wink>