Re: [tlug] X11 Session Manager Setup

2008/10/30 Curt Sampson <cjs@example.com>:
> On 2008-10-30 12:15 +0900 (Thu), Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
>
>> Curt Sampson writes:
>>
>>  > First, there seems to be no way to manage multiple sessions. Am
>>  > I missing something here?
>>
>> What do you mean by multiple sessions?
>
> Multiple "states of the desktop."

That sort of session is intended to preserve the illusion that you
never logged out.

Firstly, I'm curious what you're doing that you want to preserve the
illusion of never having logged out to two, independent, sessions.

Secondly, assuming you're running low-grade stuff (you're clearly not
a Compiz user), have you considered running a vncserver in the
background instead and preserving your session that way?

This is overkill for what you're asking, but I can't for the life of
me see why you're using multiple saved sessions.  You presumably
haven't done it before, not having had session management, so I
presume you're solving a problem that you've not told us about yet,
and solving it in a way that clearly isn't conventional.

> Having spent the past little while learning about session management in
> these new whiz-bang environments, I've discovered that even most Linux
> "sysadmins" that I talk to have no clue what's really going on below the
> surface of the desktop they use every day.

Um.  It's not that surprising.  Gnome intricacies are not sysadmin.
You can admin Unix systems with any machine you choose plus PuTTY,
nowadays.

--
Ian.