Re: [tlug] Mephisto Java Backup Software

On 2008-10-28 19:57 -0400 (Tue), jep200404 wrote:

> > Please check it out and let me know what you think[.]
> You are at the right point on the learning curve to benefit from reading:
>    The Practice of Programming

TPoP is not a bad book, but depending on how good a programmer you want to
be, you may want to consider another route, such as

    The Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
    http://mitpress.mit.edu/sicp/

If you learn and understand TPoP, you'll be left a competent programmer
with some useful "real-world" skills. If you learn and understand SICP,
you'll be a much better programmer with slightly fewer "real-world"
skills, but the ability to pick up those, all of the stuff in TPoP, and
pretty much anything else in the programming world very quickly. (You'll
also have the ability to be frustrated by the limitations of languages
such as Java, which I abandoned as a serious programming language years
ago.)

cjs