Re: [tlug] Free Codeweavers products for 24 hours.

On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 12:33:14PM +0900, Edward Middleton wrote:
> Scott Robbins wrote:
> > Anyway, for those who do need to run a Microsoft program or two, I would
> >

> I find straight wine works well enough for the basics and  anything more
> serious is easier to run with kvm[1].
>
> Edward

At the time I tried it, a couple of years ago Wine was still a nuisance
to setup. As for VM's, I tend to go with VirtualBox these days.  At
present, speeds seem comparable.  (The other thing is that I only have
one machine with builtin support for it.)

> 1. http://kvm.qumranet.com/kvmwiki

Lastly, with KVM, at least with what was available with CentOS, there
was still a minor issue with MS systems and mice, making it seem a bit
slower to me than Vbox.

Also, and this is a real pain---at least with CentOS (and possibly
others, I don't know) if you use linux-vserver, KVM can only support one
virtual processor.   Now, I haven't looked into this in awhile.

Being lazy, at present, the only MS program I need is a checkpoint VPN
client--I have a minimal Win2k install on Vbox that runs it.  (I also
need Timbuktu once I'm in the network, and our company only has Windows
licenses.)

However, for those not running VServer, and having newer machines with
processor support, I think I would agree with you, especially for non MS
virtual systems.  It's far, far more flexible than VBox.  (Which I feel
is a good program, but has a few limitations.)

CentOS users can always look the wiki article.  DISCLOSURE--it's my
article.

I believe Wine is much easier now too--I note that GOS (based on Hardy
at present, and used in a couple of netbook systems) has it presetup for
you.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6

Xander: Jeez. You mean Oz just sent for his stuff and didn't even
call her? That's pretty harsh.
Anya: I only wish I had my powers back. I'd liquefy his entrails
for her.
Xander: That's sweet.