Re: [tlug] Trouble with external USB hard disk: /dev/scd0 versus /dev/sdc: wierd GUI application

On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 10:36:18 +0900, David Bernat <dbernat@example.com> wrote:

> jep200404 wrote:
>
> > Then how could the DVD-RAM drive have a sdb1 without media?
>
> Disk filesystems shows the DVD-RAM drive as sdb1 (without media)
> when the external hard disk is not attached.

sdc and sdb1 just do not make sense for a DVD drive. sdb1 is
particularly strange, because the 1 implies partitioning,
which is very uncommon for DVDs, so I did some digging.

Take a look at http://www.colug.net/~jep/images/tlug/snapshot4.png
and compare the info for the second hard drive partition
from fdisk with that from the System Settings GUI application.
Since I started with a fresh installation, the info is likely
repeatable, which helps for filing a report.

David, please post a URL for a similar snapshot of your desktop.

David, were you administering mounting from the
System Settings GUI application?

For others wanting to play with this,
the "Disk filesystems" can be viewed by:

1. Click on K Menu button in lower left corner.
2. Click on System Settings in menu.
3. Click on Advanced tab when System Settings window appears.
4. Click on Disk & Filesystems