Re: [tlug] Trouble with external USB hard disk: /etc/fstab was mucked; simply and don't fight defaults

On 2008-10-22 15:37 +0900 (Wed), Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

> Curt Sampson writes:
>
>  > The gnome volume manager does, if set up to do so, and you run it. It's
>  > your choice. It seems no worse to me than configuring amd to do the same
>  > thing.
>
> But in those cases there is a word from root (ie, at configure time).
> It sounds to me like this happens by default on (K)ubuntu.

Right. The same way that the X server is configured and started by
default, which also requires root privs.

I argue that these are parallel cases because I believe (or used to,
anyway) that neither of these should be done by default.

>  > > My guess is that the installer temporarily identified something as
>  > > /dev/sda that was NOT the internal hard drive...
>  >
>  > "sfdisk -l" is handy for debugging these sorts of things.
>
> Er, how does that work if the system currently running (the installed
> system on the boot HDD) is not the system doing these sorts of things
> (the installer running from floppy or initrd)?

Works great wherever you use it. Just "sfdisk -l" and you'll get a list
of disk devices, the partitions on them, their sizes, and the OSes or
whatever that own them. It's easy to scan through and figure out what
got attached to what device in the currently booted configuration.

cjs