Re: [tlug] Trouble with external USB hard disk: mucking about gparted_details.htm and fstab.pre-ntfs-config

jep200404 wrote:

It looks like you were mucking about early this month. Please attach both /root/gparted_details.htm and /etc/fstab.pre-ntfs-config to your reply.

GParted 0.3.5

 Libparted 1.7.1

Create Primary Partition #1 (fat32, 186.30 GiB) on /dev/sdd 00:01 ( ERROR )

   create empty partition  00:00    ( SUCCES )

  path: /dev/sdd1
start: 16065
end: 390716864
size: 390700800 (186.30 GiB)
   set partitiontype on /dev/sdd1  00:00    ( SUCCES )

  new partitiontype: fat32
   create new fat32 filesystem  00:01    ( ERROR )

  mkdosfs -F32 -v /dev/sdd1

  mkdosfs 2.11 (12 Mar 2005)

  /dev/sdd1: No such file or directory

   libparted messages    ( INFO )

Error informing the kernel about modifications to partition /dev/sdd1 -- Device or resource busy. This means Linux won't know about any changes you made to /dev/sdd1 until you reboot -- so you shouldn't mount it or use it in any way before rebooting.
The kernel was unable to re-read the partition table on /dev/sdd (Device or resource busy). This means Linux won't know anything about the modifications you made until you reboot. You should reboot your computer before doing anything with /dev/sdd.
Error informing the kernel about modifications to partition /dev/sdd1 -- Device or resource busy. This means Linux won't know about any changes you made to /dev/sdd1 until you reboot -- so you shouldn't mount it or use it in any way before rebooting.
The kernel was unable to re-read the partition table on /dev/sdd (Device or resource busy). This means Linux won't know anything about the modifications you made until you reboot. You should reboot your computer before doing anything with /dev/sdd.

sdd1 is an IDE hard disk in an external drive case that I was trying to format as a backup drive I can keep in a travel case.

gparted failed to format the drive to the best of my knowledge. The drive needs to be readable on a Windows machine.