Re: [tlug] Trouble with external USB hard disk

Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

This is where you (or somebody) looked up documentation for gparted a
couple of weeks ago.  Are you sure you've *never* played with
/etc/fstab yourself?  Not even back in the days of "Addled Arthropod"
or whatever it was?

I have never before played personally with /etc/fstab myself. Kubuntu did all the playing.

After changing the mount point to /home/david/foomnt, I rewrote fstab to

# /home/david/foomnt/fstab: static file system information.
#
#  -- This file has been automaticly generated by ntfs-config --
#

proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
# Entry for /dev/sda1 :
UUID=9b6119b9-a271-4e66-af2d-9ba2fb3509c4 / ext3 nouser,relatime,errors=remount-ro,atime,auto,rw,dev,exec,suid 0 1
# Entry for /dev/sda5 :
UUID=6298b9dd-6c63-41a2-a9f3-7f2e19cd2b52 none swap sw 0 0
/dev/scd0 /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,utf8,atime,noauto,rw,dev,exec,suid 0 0
/root/sdb5 /root auto users,atime,noauto,rw,nodev,noexec,nosuid 0 0
/dev/sdc1 /home auto users,atime,auto,rw,nodev,noexec,nosuid 0 0
/dev/sdb1 /home/david/foomnt auto users,atime,auto,rw,nodev,noexec,nosuid 0 0

My first introduction to Kubuntu was Execrable Echidna.

I played with gparted a while ago in an effort to get an IDE hard disk
in an external drive case to format. No luck with the effort, Yet.

/root/sdb5 /root auto users,atime,noauto,rw,nodev,noexec,nosuid 0 0
/dev/sdc1 /home auto users,atime,auto,rw,nodev,noexec,nosuid 0 0
/dev/sdb1 /etc auto users,atime,auto,rw,nodev,noexec,nosuid 0 0

from /etc/fstab (you'll need to be root), and add

/dev/sdb1 $SOMEDIR auto users,atime,auto,rw,nodev,noexec,nosuid 0 0

where $SOMEDIR is an appropriate place to put the contents of your
external drive.  Possibly /home, if there's nothing in it right now.
If you find you are missing some data, it's probably in /dev/sdb5.
To find out, do

mkdir /tmp/foomnt
mount -t auto /dev/sdb5 /tmp/foomnt

and if that succeeds, you can do

ls /tmp/foomnt

to find out what's in the file system, if anything.  Then figure out
where to put it in the file system and add an appropriate line to
/etc/fstab to make it happen, then

umount /tmp/foomnt
rmdir /tmp/foomnt
mount /dev/sdb5