Re: [tlug] Trouble with external USB hard disk: /etc/fstab was mucked; simply and don't fight defaults

"Stephen J. Turnbull" wrote:

> David Bernat writes:

>  > root@example.com:~# ls -l /root
>  > total 4
>  > -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2970 2008-10-06 21:42 gparted_details.htm
>
> This is where you (or somebody) looked up documentation for gparted a
> couple of weeks ago.

It might be worse than that.
Actually, it might be _output_ from gparted ala

   http://gparted-livecd.tuxfamily.org/larry/tips/save_details.htm

> Are you sure you've *never* played with /etc/fstab yourself?

I second and third your suspicion.

> What you almost certainly want to do now is delete the lines
>
> /root/sdb5 /root auto users,atime,noauto,rw,nodev,noexec,nosuid 0 0
> /dev/sdc1 /home auto users,atime,auto,rw,nodev,noexec,nosuid 0 0
> /dev/sdb1 /etc auto users,atime,auto,rw,nodev,noexec,nosuid 0 0
>
> from /etc/fstab (you'll need to be root), ...

Amen.

> ... and add
>
> /dev/sdb1 $SOMEDIR auto users,atime,auto,rw,nodev,noexec,nosuid 0 0

I would hold off on that for now.

Although that's an acceptable thing to do,
for now, I would simply leave out an entry for /dev/sdb1,
and let Kubuntu mount it where it wants to by default,
which would likely be some /media/something directory.
I.e., for now, let's try to keep things simple and
not fight the defaults.

Of course, later, David should revisit and master /etc/fstab.

> If it doesn't succeed, then you probably don't have a partition 5 on
> the external hard drive.

The fdisk output from an earlier post confirmed that he does
not have a 5 partition on the 320GB drive.

   http://www.tlug.jp/ML/0810/msg00178.html

Perhaps sdb5 is for a different drive that does have such a partition.