Re: [tlug] Trouble with external USB hard disk: /dev/scd0 versus /dev/sdc

jep200404 wrote:

Are today's sdb1 DVD-RAM drive and yesterday's sdc DVD drive the same drive?

Yes, sdb1 and sdc are the same drive.

On Mon, 20 Oct 2008 10:31:35 -0400, I wrote:

I wonder if the drive names (/dev/sda, /dev/sdb, ...) got reordered in the upgrade.

... or just in plugging them in, in different orders, or plugging them in different ports. That sdb was a USB hard drive before and is now a DVD-RAM drive, reinforce that wonder.

What rules govern drive order in Kubuntu? Do hard disks always take precedence over CD/DVD drives?

Do you have DVD-RAM media in your DVD drive?

No, the drive is empty.

If so, as what filesystem have you mounted the DVD-RAM media? Is it writable?

What drive is /dev/scd0 in your system? Do you have another optical drive?

I have no /dev/scd0 in my system. The DVD drive is the only optical drive present.