Re: [tlug] Trouble with external USB hard disk: /root/sdb5; copy and paste; corrected commands

David Bernat wrote:

> jep200404 wrote:
>
>  > 1. What is /root/sdb5?
>
> I've no idea why /root/sdb5 is there, or why Kubuntu has begun putting
> it there.

It is very surprising that Kubuntu would try to mount /root/sdb5.

>  > 2. Did you manually type the contents of fstab into the email?
>
> Copy and paste into email.

Thanks for copying and pasting. That was exactly the right thing to do.

>  > 3. Why are you mounting the partition at /etc? Please elaborate.
>
> Kubuntu does this as the default mount following the upgrade. I did
> not choose the mount point.

What was the mount point _before the upgrade?

/etc is a very unusual place to mount an external drive.
It would be very surprising for Kubuntu to mount anything
there.

Mea culpa. The commands I sent had an error,
so please try again.
What is the output of the following corrected commands?

mkdir ~david/foomnt
sudo mount -t vfat -r /dev/sdb1 ~david/foomnt
df
ls -la ~david/foomnt