Re: [tlug] Trouble with external USB hard disk

On Mon, Oct 20, 2008 at 07:46:34PM +0900, Bruno Raoult wrote:
> But I still don't understand why /etc would be on a different partition.
> This is a nonsense, please reconsider.

Very well put.

There are certain directories that should very much be on the root
filesystem.  /etc is ABSOLUTELY one of them.

If you're a Solaris user, /usr should also be under the root filesystem.
Most of us aren't, but those of us who are, who have had a machine go
kaboom under us, will know very well why having /usr be its own
filesystem is a horrible, awful, bad, not good thing.

/bin and /sbin should also absolutely be part of the root filesystem.
How can the system heal itself if the tools to do so aren't available at
boot time?  (SEE ALSO: Solaris's horrible abuse of /usr.)

--Dave