Re: [tlug] Trouble with external USB hard disk

On Mon, Oct 20, 2008 at 10:11 PM, David Bernat <dbernat@example.com> wrote:
Bruno Raoult wrote:

> But I still don't understand why /etc would be on a different partition.
> This is a nonsense, please reconsider.

If it is nonsense, it is nonsense generated by Kubuntu, not by me.

I can't make suggestions really on how to make the disk work properly aside from taking a look in /dev and seeing what is there.  However I would comment that what you say here is quite likely rather accurate.  It "is nonsense generated by Kubuntu," and should probably be ungenerated.  ^^;;  pretty much copy the contents of the /etc partition into the /etc mount point with permissions intact (should be pretty simple since everything there should probably be owned by root anyway), and do away with the entry for /etc in the fstab.  ^^;;  I know that still leaves you with every other issue you are dealing with....  But it is my two cents on what you should concider after you get the other  things fixed.

/etc should always be someplace where it can be found easily by the system.  ^.^

/usr is optional stuff (From the SYSTEM'S perspective.  I fully realise that is where everything WE actually use is kept.  :P  Thus /usr (on some older systems it was /user, then /user started getting used for home directories...   And started getting jumbled on some transitional systems.  Then once /usr became the norm, /home became the norm as well.  :P poor /user got dumped.)

/home is optional from a system perspective as well.

/etc is pretty important.  like everything stores something there.  :P  Well, almost everything.  ^^