Re: [tlug] Trouble with external USB hard disk

Bruno Raoult wrote:

> You should use "vfat" parameter, instead of W95 FAT32.

david@example.com:~$ sudo mount -t vfat /dev/sdb1 /etc
can't link lock file /etc/mtab~: Operation not permitted (use -n flag to override)

> But you will not be able to use vfat for /etc, where file permissions
> are strict.
>
> First, you should reformat your disk (ext3 is a good option).

I do not want to format the hard disk. The hard disk worked perfectly in Kubuntu prior to the upgrade. I changed no parameters controlling access.

> But I still don't understand why /etc would be on a different partition.
> This is a nonsense, please reconsider.

If it is nonsense, it is nonsense generated by Kubuntu, not by me.