Re: [tlug] Trouble with external USB hard disk

On Mon, Oct 20, 2008 at 7:57 PM, Nguyen Vu Hung <vuhung16plus@example.com> wrote:
>> > Btw, is there any reason for installing / into /dev/sda but /etc and
>> > /home to /dev/sdb?
>>
>> Dunno. This is how Kubuntu set up the disks.
> Aggg. This is KUbuntu specific :).
> Is there any Ubuntu experts out there?

I have Ubuntu (and also external USB drives), and it never did that,
obviously. I would have
broken the CD in zillions of pieces, and run 100 times around my house
to break the bad
faith :)

/etc is in / partition. I cannot believe kubuntu would do differently.

Anyway, if it does, just remove the /etc partition when you make the
fresh installation.
It will then naturally be in /

And, depending on what you want to do with your USB disk (use also
with Windows?),
you may consider to format it also (ext3, reiserfs, etc..). Do not do
it if you plan to use the
disk with Windows.
In that case (if you keep vfat), do not put your home directory on it
too. Just use it as a basic
storage for your videos, music, etc...

Bruno.

--