Re: [tlug] Re: Talk about fast HTTP

On 2008-10-17 10:12 +0100 (Fri), Sach Jobb wrote:

> Sorry, I wasn't aware of the fact that you were soliciting responses.
> This is actually quite interesting to me since my company is
> consistently tuning it's web applications for performance.

I wonder if it's worth having a panel discussion after the talk.
It sounds as if there may be several of us who design and build
high-performance HTTP systems who might have useful experience to share.

As an example, one of Starling's clients has a site that consistently
saturates 5 Gbps/sec. of connectivity for several hours every day. (Yes,
that's the equivalant of five GigE links, or fifty 100Base-T links.) One
of the interesting things that came out of this is that bandwidth from
the disk is often the system bottleneck, and you may need to construct a
system that looks rather different from what you would think in order to
deal with this.

cjs